Skip to main content Skip to home page

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander

Support services and programs are available to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons with legal problems and court matters.

Koori Court Officers and or Koori Engagement Officers are available at Magistrates’ Court venues where a Koori Court is available.

They play an important role and:

  • work with the Koori community to help with understanding the court process 
  • provide non-legal advice and support 
  • ensure judicial officers have access to information to support culturally appropriate outcomes. 

See the Koori Court page for more information. 

The Magistrates’ Court also provides support through the Court Integrated Support Program (CISP). Koori CISP officers are available at the:

  • Heidelberg Magistrates’ Court
  • Latrobe Valley Magistrates’ Court
  • Melbourne Magistrates’ Court 
  • Shepparton Magistrates’ Court.

See the bail support page for more information about CISP.

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS)

VALS is a community legal centre providing legal support and services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons.

See the VALS website for contact details and information about their support services.  

Koori Family Violence

If you or someone in your community is experiencing sexual assault or family violence, you can apply for a .

You should contact the police if you are in immediate danger or feel unsafe.  

Contact your nearest Magistrates’ Court or go to the family violence section for more information. 

Aboriginal Family Violence Legal Service (AFVLS) at Djirra

Djirra provides culturally safe and holistic support, and specialist family violence legal assistance and representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The service is for people who are experiencing, or have in the past, family violence and sexual assault – predominantly women and children.

See Djirra’s website for more information:

Victims of crime

If you are a victim of crime, you and your family may be entitled to free support. 

The Victorian Government’s victims of crime website will guide you through the criminal justice system. You can find out more about keeping safe and your rights and possible entitlements as a victim. 

Last updated on 13 Jan 2020
Back to top