Skip to main content Skip to home page

Can I change my court date?

If you can’t attend court on the day of your hearing, you may be able to postpone. This is called an adjournment. If you have legal representation, you are encouraged to ask your lawyer to apply for an adjournment on your behalf. 

Details about your court date will be listed on your court documents. You may also be able to check your court date by visiting the find your court date page. 

You must apply for an adjournment at the court where your matter is being heard and outline the reasons why. This should be done at the earliest opportunity or at least three working days before the hearing date. 

If the court adjourns your matter, you will receive a new hearing date. 

To contact a court, visit the find a court page.  

For more information about adjournments, refer to the Criminal Procedure Act 2009, Civil Procedure Act 2010 and Magistrates’ Court Act 1989


Q. How long will my matter be adjourned for?


The length of an adjournment is at the discretion of the court. There are different timeframes depending on the type of matter before the court.  

Q. Can I get an adjournment if I’m on bail?


Yes, but you must attend court on the day and time of your hearing and apply for an adjournment.

Q. What if I missed my court date?


You should contact the court where your matter was to be heard and speak to a registrar.

The court may also direct you to contact the other party – e.g. prosecuting agency – to gain their consent to any application.  You may be asked to provide supporting documentation. 

Last updated on 09 Sep 2022
Back to top