Trainee court registrars
Trainee court registrars learn how to manage the administrative section of the court, known as the registry.
Registrars work with judicial officers, the police, lawyers and court users. Trainee registrars complete a two-year program to learn how to manage court processes. If performance standards are met, trainees have the opportunity to become a qualified registrar.
If you would like to apply, you are encouraged to learn about the role of the Magistrates’ Court.
You may do this by:
- attending a magistrates’ court to observe the tasks of a bench clerk
- applying for a work experience opportunity (if eligible) by contacting your nearest magistrates' court
- applying for a work placement through your tertiary institution
- studying a relevant tertiary course.
Travel between court locations is expected. Trainees may be required to transfer to a different court location after two years.
The normal application process is outlined below in steps 1 – 4, however due to COVID-19, advertising for the trainee court registrar role has been suspended for an indefinite period. We are still accepting direct applications for the following regional locations: Bairnsdale, Bendigo, Mildura and Warrnambool. At this stage interviews will not take place.
If you wish to apply for one of the specified regional locations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter, resume and the completed application form (see below). See also position description and FAQs, and note that our phone is currently unattended.
- Go to the trainee court registrar job advertisement on the Victorian government careers website. Submit a completed application form, cover letter and resume.
- Shortlisted applicants are invited to an assessment centre session in Melbourne to complete:
- a group activity
- client simulation
- written activity.
- Applicants are notified if they have been successful after the assessment centre session and asked to complete a police check.
- Successful applicants are placed on a waiting list until an opportunity arises. The waiting timeframe is generally three – nine months.
For more information email: email@example.com or call (03) 9032 0907